A unique bio-region
Marine and agri-biotech – driving our innovation!
Bretagne is France’s 3rd ranking region for home-grown biotechnology and has thus achieved a high profile in the country. We have built a pioneering and buoyant economy drawing on both the region’s strong collaborative tradition and our long-standing experience of sustainably exploiting natural resources.
Uniquely positioned on blue and green biotech
Blue for resources from the ocean, and green for those from the land. Historically we have been a region expert in information and communication technologies which offers huge potential for combining ICT and biotechnology. As a sector of excellence, biotech lie at the heart of Bretagne’s economic strategy dubbed the Glaz economy from the local Breton word meaning a blend of blue and green.
Biotechnology: Bretagne’s specificities
- 3rd ranking region for French biotech*
- Leader in marine biotech
- One of the very first suppliers of marine ingredients for the cosmetics industry
Key businesses and organizations
- More than 200 businesses
- 63 research teams
- Around 40 innovation centers and technology platforms
- 3 marine biological stations : Concarneau, Dinard and Roscoff
- Innovation clusters located or represented in the region : Marine (Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique), Agrifood (Valorial), ICT (Images & Réseaux), Health and healthcare (Atlanpole Biothérapies), Plants (Végépolys Valley)
- Colleges, universities and national research organizations located in Bretagne: ANSES, CNRS, Ifremer, INRAE, INSERM, MNHN…
- A network to support technology transfer: Biotech Santé Bretagne, SATT Ouest Valorisation, incubateur Emergys…
- Formal clusters : Eco Origin, Bretagne Biosciences…
*Source BioMap 2014 >2017 © Biotech Finances